[Sca-cooks] Space Jelly?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Dec 17 05:43:50 PST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Diana Skaggs wrote:

> Heck, I thought this was something developed by the space program for the
> astronauts.  Perhaps it was. I remember being able to buy freeze-dried ice
> cream.  And I *wanted* to, because it was what the astronauts ate.

Oh no!- It's deja vu all over again!

I remember the freeze-dried ice cream. You could buy it by sending in
cereal boxtops and such. And it was horrible. But it was so cool to take
to school!

I also remember the weird food sticks- they looked something like long
Tootsie Rolls and were roughly the same texture. Supposedly concentrated
food value, supposedly eaten by the astronauts. Came in chocolate and
caramel and one other flavor I can't remember. Based on my memory of where
Mom kept them in the kitchen, I must have been about eight...

Now the real blast from the past- anyone else remember Quisp? I loved the
stuff... (yeah, I know that explains alot...)

Around the same time period, my mother would collect boxes- small ones-
cereal, macaroni, etc, and paper towel tubes, and at Christmas she would
build a 'castle' (looked like Sleeping Beauty's castle) out of them. It
was painted white, and she had a collection of greeting cards and
postcards that she'd cut things out of, such as trees (this castle had
very nice landscaping) and there's was a gorgeous gothic door that she
used every year- part cut from a card, part from a scrap of wood-grained
contact paper, with a wreath she'd cut from some other card. It was
spiffy, and I remember trying to 'open' it as a kid, trying to peek into
the castle, rather like using the door in back of the wardrobe... If mom
was feeling flush (not often) she would put a candy dish in the middle of
the castle, and then spend the rest of the season yelling at us to get out
of it...

I also broke several snow-globes trying to get in... I must have had a
fascination with other worlds pretty early...

Uh-oh... I just realized that I haven't made any Pfeffernuisse yet this
year. I'd better get moving...

'Lainie
To I-5, and Beyond!
(driving home today...)