[Sca-cooks] Space Jelly?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 17 08:52:18 PST 2001

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net wrote:

> I was told they used "Jello" for "The Blob." I always imagined it was lime
> jello, even though the only time I watched the movie it was black & white.

Nonono, it's a lovely purplish red, veinous blood color. (There is
actually a semi-high-tech remake out there, in which the blob starts out
as colorless, like an amoeba, and ends up red as it grows and eats
people. It's one of the few instances of a remake being somewhat better
than the original. Not that that would be difficult in this case.)

> OFC: Couldn't eat jello for a long time after watching "The Blob."

Hmmm. Well, I'm sure you were told that, but thinking back, and after having seen some clips from it in the past year or so, I can't imagine that it was really jello. It wasn't, well, gellid, merely thick. Viscous. It lacked the quivery quality that jello has.

OPFC: I am reminded of an occasion when, as a teenager, I and a couple
of friends were thrown out of a movie theater showing the complete and
uncut, revitalized print of the 1938 "Adventures of Robin Hood", the
scene with Robin and the obviously stuffed deer. At one point, a large
blue jello mold is visible in front of Prince John. Later in the scene,
as things hot up a bit and said jelly is seen aquiver, it seems some
rowdy kids in the audience are heard singing the Jello jingle, and
yelling, "There's ALWAYS room for Jello!!!"

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com