[Sca-cooks] Splendor in the Sunne

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 17 16:54:07 PST 2001

On 17 Dec 2001, at 13:08, Mercy Neumark wrote:

> I volunteered to help feed our current Queen at a Queen's tea in
> February. This will be my first time cooking for a court or organizing
> feeding people (I'm not counting the potluck last Saturday).  My
> laurel, Mistress Huette (Hi Mom!) and several other friends (hi Wolfe
> and Selene) will be helping here and there.
>
> The event theme is Splendor in the Sun.  The Queen's persona is
> spanish around 1250.  Her device is a golden sun on purple (I can get
> the heraldry speak for you all if you need it).

You'll find quite a lot of Spanish stuff in the Florilegium, so I'll just
mention a few random things.

Oranges and lemons are period for Spain, and sweet oranges were
available in late period.  Eggplant is also period for Spain, so if you
wanted to do some kind of edible representation of her device, that
might be a possibility.

What kinds of foods are you looking for at a Queen's tea?  The
ones I've seen here in the East Kingdom involve cakes, sweets,
fruits, and finger foods.  Are you looking for something heartier?
Most roast meats would be suitable, perhaps with an interesting
sauce on the side.  Cheese.  Olives.  Meat pies.

Let us know what kind of things you're looking for, and I'm sure
you'll get suggestions.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net