Chocolate+Muslim (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Probably OOP but just wondering.)

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Dec 17 22:07:37 PST 2001

>Did Muslims use chocolate back in the Middle Ages?

Coco beans are indigenous to South America.  They weren't brought back to
Europe till the end of our period.  I'd be real surprised if they reached
North Africa and/or the Middle East until much later, and therefore would
imagine they wouldn't use chocolate in our period.  Of course, there might
have been Muslims using chocolate in Europe.

Finnebhir is interjecting that Muslims did have coffee and hash though :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka