[Sca-cooks] Probably OOP but just wondering.

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Tue Dec 18 06:34:16 PST 2001

> Incidentally, latkes made with grated sweet potato are also tasty, if
> sweeter than what one is expecting with the common household white
> potato. And I've heard of them made with zucchini but I think my husband
> would stage a revolt should I attempt a heresy of that magnitude.

Sweet potato latkes are *wonderful* :)  I've heard recipes for broccoli
ones, too, but never tried 'em.  What my husband and I do for latkes is
pretty simple - grated potatoes, finely chopped onions, salt and pepper.
  We don't squeeze out the potatoes very much, so they're starchy enough
to hold together without egg or flour.  Though, we do tend to make them
fairly thick.  We might add a bit of bell pepper, also chopped, if we're
feeling adventerous.  Or seasoning with some parsley or whatever else is
still alive in the herb window box.  Maybe next year, I'll use purple
potatoes to freak out our friends...

I was never a latke fan, because growing non-Jewish, the only person I
knew who made them was a German immigrant.  Her's were, well, awful.
Like, poison me to the whole idea of potato pancakes awful.  They were
more pancake than potato, and I'm not sure she used fresh potatoes - I
think they might have been frozen.  They were really fritters, not
latkes.  I've never been a fritter fan.  I went through the next twenty
years convinced of latkes awfulness.  Then I met and married a Jewish
man who thankfully proved to me just how wrong I was!

-Magdalena