[Sca-cooks] Probably OOP but just wondering.

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Dec 18 10:07:30 PST 2001

>Now that Hanukkah is come and gone, I had a question. Anyone have a favorite
>latka (hopefully i'm spelling that right) recipe? I went to a holiday party
>for the flute studio I go to and one of my Jewish friends brought some latkas
>and they were WONDERFUL! Would latkas be somewhat period? Would (or could)
>potatoes be grown in Jerusalem? Inquiring minds wish to know :). Duke
>Cariadoc, this is to you:Did Muslims use chocolate back in the Middle Ages?
>And if they did, what did they use it for?

As others have mentioned, both potatoes and chocolate come from the
New World. Both get back to Europe in the 16th century. So far as I
can tell, chocolate was drunk but not eaten prior to 1600, at least
in the Old World. I know of no evidence that latkes existed then.

You might try  eggplant pancakes (recipes in the _Miscellany_, webbed
on my site). They're period.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/