[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]TUDOR HOUSEWIFE 2

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Dec 21 06:17:41 PST 2001

I have both her books: The Tudor Housewife and Food and Feast
Feast in Tudor England. I would not advise a blind buy... I would
urge that you see a copy prior to purchase. Perhaps someone could
bring a copy to an event for you to see. It is about housewifery,
but it's not as well done as it should be. I was hoping for a work
more along the lines of Caroline Davidson's classic A Woman's Work Is
Never Done but Sims is at best very secondary.
I can't recommend that you use a gift certificate to buy it sight unseen
unless there is nothing else to buy or you want the complete collection
of everything there is to have for this period. Some might consider it a
volume that is worth buying used or heavily discounted but not at full
price.
Certainly Peter Brears' All the King's Cooks or even Ivan
Day's Eat, Drink, and Be Merryor even Fooles and Fricassees which is a
library  exhibit catalogue from the Folger might be better alternatives.
They are also available from B&N or at least listed on the online site.
Hope this helps.
Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway