[Sca-cooks] Buckwheat was (Latkes was Probably OOP but justwondering.)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 21 06:51:37 PST 2001

> Dembinska provides the fact that two types of buckwheat were known in Poland
> during the Middle Ages, Fagopyrum esculentum and F. tartaricum (Tartarian
> buckwheat).  Tartarian buckwheat appears to have been introduced during the
> Mongol Invasions of the early 13th Century.

Hm.. I was relying on my notes from Dembinska and from Smith & Christian
(_Bread and Salt_). I may have missed references to an earlier use of a
separate strain of buckwheat in the Woyes Weaver-Dembinska text. I'll go
back and check it tonight and post what I find whenever I get back online.

Buckwheat is not mentioned in: "Archaeobotanical Evidence for Food Plants
in the Poland of the Piasts (10th-13th Centuries AD)", M.
Polcyn. Biological Journal of Scotland, vol 46, no 4, p 533-537.

But that's at best negative evidence.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa