[Sca-cooks] Re: Yoicks!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 15:50:50 PST 2001

--- Vincent Cuenca <bootkiller at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Okay.  What is your documentation to back this
> claim?
> >
> >Huette
>
> Boy I hope you're joking.
>
> From Forme of Cury, Sambocade.  Dry cheese curds,
> sugar, egg whites, and
> dried elderflowers, baked in a crust.
>
> From Cato: Savillum.  Cheese, flour, an egg, honey,
> poppy seeds, baked in a
> pan without crust.
>
> From Platina: White Torte.  Fresh cheese, egg
> whites, ginger, milk, butter,
> lard, sugar and rosewater, baked in a crust.
>
> From de Nola: Flaones.  Fresh cheese, ricotta, eggs,
> rosewater, mint, and
> honey, baked in a crust.
>
> These are a little different from the modern
> cheesecake in flavor and
> texture, but the intent is the same.  That doesn't
> mean I'm gonna serve
> cheesecake from Baby Watson's or Junior's at a feast
> any time soon, though.
> :-)
>
> Vicente
> (I like de Nola's better anyway!)

No, I wasn't kidding when I asked.  I knew of most of
your sources, and I believe that Apicius has something
similar also.  I am not very familiar will de Nola,
but I am glad to have that reference now.

I asked to find out what you knew.  I hate such broad
generalizations.  In my 27 years in the SCA, there
will be people who will take such generalizations and
use that to justify their use of non-period foods.
And when you argue with them that it doesn't mean New
York-style cheese cake, they will dig in their heels,
say, "Vicente says it is period!" and then call you a
period-Nazi for questioning them.  I am not kidding.

I think you should write an article for your local
newsletter clarifying your statement and give the true
history of period "cheese-cake".  You will be doing
yourself and your group a service in doing so.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.