[Sca-cooks] Re: Yoicks!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 21 16:08:11 PST 2001

Vincent Cuenca wrote:

>> Okay.  What is your documentation to back this claim?
>>
>> Huette
>

> Boy I hope you're joking.
>
>> From Forme of Cury, Sambocade.  Dry cheese curds, sugar, egg whites, and
>
> dried elderflowers, baked in a crust.
>
>> From Cato: Savillum.  Cheese, flour, an egg, honey, poppy seeds, baked
>> in a
>
> pan without crust.
>
>> From Platina: White Torte.  Fresh cheese, egg whites, ginger, milk,
>> butter,
>
> lard, sugar and rosewater, baked in a crust.
>
>> From de Nola: Flaones.  Fresh cheese, ricotta, eggs, rosewater, mint, and
>
> honey, baked in a crust.
>
> These are a little different from the modern cheesecake in flavor and
> texture, but the intent is the same.  That doesn't mean I'm gonna serve
> cheesecake from Baby Watson's or Junior's at a feast any time soon, though.
> :-)

Hey, you forgot tardpolane. (For the linguists out there, could this be
a Polish tart in Anglo-Norman French? It's in one of the Anglo-Norman
Culinary Manuscripts.) This is a custardy/cheesy cheesecake with a nifty
almond-milk pastry and the Usual Cuskynole Filling Suspects
(figsdatesapplespearsalmondsetc.) mixed into a fairly standard cheese,
egg, liquid filling. What intrigues me is the fact that the pastry
suggests a fish day dish, while the filling is clearly fulla eggs and
dairy. Could it simply be that it tastes yummers this way?

We'll be doing these, or some close variant thereof, at EK 12th Night.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com