[Sca-cooks] Re: Brining

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 23 14:22:36 PST 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis said:
> Having brined turkey and having made my own
> corn beef and Irish beef for years, I can
> recommend these sources:

What is "Irish beef"? And how does it differ from corned beef?

Hmmm. Considering the proverbial poorness of the Irish, is Irish
beef, really beef? :-)

> for a general history without recipes:
> Shephard, Sue. Pickled, Potted and Canned. 2001
>
> for recipes with food chemistry:
> Corriher, Shirley O. Cookwise. 1997.
> Cook's Illus. has also run at least one article annually
> and sometimes more on brining methods with recipes.
>
> for practical recipes:
> Firth, Grace. Stillroom Cookery. 1977.

Thanks for the referances. However, the original question about
brining seemed to be more about a cooking technique rather than a
preservation technique since it was done the day or day before
the meat (turkey?) was cooked. Now I realized that there may
be some overlap between the two purposes but it might affect
the exact processes used.

I'm finding that many (most?) smoked and salted foods these
days are only prepared that way for taste and aren't processed
enough to be left out of the refrigerator or the use of other
methods to prevent spoilage. :-(

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net