[Sca-cooks] Re: Brining

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Dec 23 18:23:15 PST 2001

Of course, it's beef. Start with a corned
beef and then add more spices and sugar.
The recipe is in Theodora Fitzgibbon's
 Irish Traditional Food. It's a Christmas
or holiday recipe. And of course the Irish
had cows and a long tradition of herding
prior to the English.... but that's another tale...
There's a reference to this spiced Irish Beef
in the 14th century... among other references...
See also Sexton and Cowan's Ireland's Traditional
Foods as well Brid Mahon's Land of Milk and Honey.

I don't find brining to be a cooking technique today as
much as a flavour enhancement... It produces a juicier
more tender bird or roast... Actually the work on Stillroom
Cookery addresses actually putting up large quanities of
meat in a brine w/o refrigeration. As to leaving smoked or
salted food out today, most object to scraping mold off and
then going ahead and cooking the joint in question. How many
afterall want to eat an aged country ham that has been hung for
a year? It is as they say an acquired taste.
Another work on this subject would be Hung, Strung, & Potted
by Booth. It addresses the American history of food preservation.
Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis