[Sca-cooks] Re: Brining

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Dec 23 18:57:33 PST 2001

>I'm finding that many (most?) smoked and salted foods these
>days are only prepared that way for taste and aren't processed
>enough to be left out of the refrigerator or the use of other
>methods to prevent spoilage. :-(

Stefan, I fear that would be a correct assumption :-(  Even worst, often
the products aren't really smoked, just injected with smoke flavoured
liquids...

For commercial purposes, it does come down to a couple factor.  Man-hours
involved, *and* length of time in the process...  To make a financially
viable product, it would have to be sold at extremely high prices, which
would greatly reduce the number of customers for said product.

Also, properly smoked products, for preservation, tend to have a really
strong flavour.  While I suspect most on this list would be happy with it,
most "joe q public" wouldn't like or buy the thing...

Just my 2 cents.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom