[Sca-cooks] newbie Introduction

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 25 13:38:40 PST 2001

Welcome, Iago, to the world of SCA Cooks. Things aren't always what
they appear to be around here, but, well, you'll get to see.

I'll let you just wander about on your own. Don't forget to visit the
cathedral. And i'm sure you'll eventually discover all the charms of
The Rock, to which many of us run from time to time, ducking as we
go. And be sure to pick up a pack of Cuskeynoles...

From: KazOShea at aol.com
>  I am currently working on expanding my library of cookbooks and information
>  as my meager bit of money permits, so any online resources I can be referred
>  to are always appreciated.

HARD-COPY COOKBOOKS

My personal favorite cookbooks are:

1) "Medieval Arab Cookery" by A.J. Arberry, Maxime Rodinson, and
Charles Perry (cost $50 but worth every penny - to me, at least)

2) "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" by Barbara Santich (Catalan,
Spanish, Italian, and French) (i've bought used copies for $5)

3) "The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy" by Odile
Redon, Francoise Sabban, Silvano Serventi, Edward Schneider (Trans.)
/ University of Chicago Press (mostly French and Italian) (now in
paper back for $)

4) If you haven't already gotten it, Duke Cariadoc's two-volume
Medieval and Renaissance Cook Book compendium is *invaluable* and
only costs around $20. It consists of photocopies of around two dozen
period cookbooks from several hundred years, including most of those
linked below. Easier to carry around than a computer :-)

I also have some 16th century English cookbooks, but, well, i like
those listed above better...

Info at:
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Our_Publications/our_publications.html
His website is also host to or linked to a number of on-line
cookbooks. See below...

ON-LINE COOKBOOKS
In Chronological Order

Charles Perry's translation of An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook, from
the 13th Century
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm
A Spanish Muslim cookbook - i use it a lot, since my persona is 10th
c. Andalusi

English Translation of Ein Buch von Guter Spise, from 1340
http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/buch.html
I used some of these recipes for my German Boar Hunt feast

Forme of Cury - an English cookbook, from around 1390
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/
Facsimile of a well-known Middle English cookbook

Janet Hinson's translation of Le Managier de Paris, 1393
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html
A French cookbook written by a middle-aged "middle class" Frenchman
for his new teen wife.

Elizabeth Cook's translation of Du Fait de Cuisine by Maitre Chiquart, 1420
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Du_Fait_de_Cuisine/du_fait_de_c_contents.html
Another French cookbook by a famous chef to nobility.

Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books, circa 1430 and later
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/c/cme/cme-idx?type=HTML&rgn=TEI.2&byte=3356093
Several early English cookbooks

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain's English translation of Ruperto de Nola's
"Libre del Coch", 1529
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html
Yummy, yummy 16th century Catalan food

Valoise Armstrong's translation of Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, 1553
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html
A German Cookbook written by a woman, Sabina Welser - there is
actually no 'r' in her first name.
I used some of them for my German Boar Hunt feast.

If you read languages other than English, there are even more period
cookbooks available, but this should get you off to a good start...

I also have some recipes on line, my own redactions, for feasts, at:

Beacon's Gate Boar Hunt 2000 - last year's eclectic recipes - many of
which were sent me by *cooks on this very list*
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html

And a number of worked-out period Near Eastern recipes, mostly
Medieval Persian, from the 10th to the 14th centuries:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/persianchef.html

I'll be getting the Boar Hunt 2001 on-line soon - i've been so busy
lately, but i think i'll have free time today, as i am *home alone*.

Oh, yeah, and for those of you who remember "The Tofurkey Report"
from Thanksgiving, i cooked an "UnTurkey" today and will write up
another report...

Best wishes to you, Iago,
and my love to everyone on the list.

Sayida Anahita al-kitabkhaniyya al-Qurtubiyya bint abd al-Karim
al-hakim al-Fassi

Dar Anahita, a Maghribi domicile
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah
Information on SCA Near Eastern personae,
Maghribi and Andalusi costuming,
and period Near Eastern and other food