[Sca-cooks] newbie Introduction

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 25 17:39:07 PST 2001

Iago said:
> My name is Iago, home shire of Tree-Girt-Sea. I play an Elizabethan but like
> to eat just about anything. I am not a food snob as far as what it is, I am a
> snob when it comes to how well was it made. I am in the beginning stages of
> forming a cooking guild in the Chicago land area. Our primary focus is going
> to be researching period foods and preparing them for feasts. Also
> expanding,or trying to , the body of knowledge available to cooks in the
> region.

Welcome to SCA-Cooks! I've learned quite a lot about both mundane and
period cooking since I joined this list in 97. Others have described
what their Cook's guilds do. Perhaps you might find some of their
experiences to be useful in forming your guild. You can find some of
these comments in this file in the SCA-INC section of my Florilegium files:
cookng-guilds-msg (12K)  4/ 2/01    SCA cooking guilds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/cookng-guilds-msg.html

You said:
> but like to eat just about anything.

Uh oh. Maybe we can get Ras back on this list and you two can have a
competition. There have been some pretty disgusting things discussed on
this list, twinkies, Brussels sprouts, various lung dishes and jello
concoctions among them. :-(

> I am currently working on expanding my library of cookbooks and information
> as my meager bit of money permits, so any online resources I can be referred
> to are always appreciated.

In the last few years a number of period cookbooks have been put online
and mentioned on this list. Perhaps this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section
might be of use:
online-ckbks-msg  (23K)  4/11/01    Online versions of period cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/online-ckbks-msg.html

When you have the money to spare, you might want to consider buying various
cookbooks or books about period food. In that case, you might want to
look through the various reviews and comments, also in this section
before buying such books.

> For our upcoming 12th Night I am going to be teaching a class on Celtic food
> and dining and I am looking for some good on line resources for the class.
> Any help here would be appreciated.

What is your definition of "Celt"? If you mean just the ancient peoples
and not those of modern Ireland and Scotland, then your resources are
going to be limited. However, check this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION
section:
fd-Celts-msg      (34K) 10/ 6/99    Celtic food. Celtic feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Celts-msg.html

> So that is me pretty much in a nutshell. Feel free to drop me a note or
> question.

So, how do you make your cuskynoles?

Sorry, that's an old inside joke here, having to do with a disagreement
primarily between Master Cariadoc and Master Admantius about the
"proper" way to make a particular medieval fruit ravioli dish.

For more details on this, see:
cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta dish.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cuskynoles-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net