[Sca-cooks] ham advice

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 26 07:23:53 PST 2001

Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> --
> stefan writes:
>

>><<you only used one soaking of water. I would have done several. I imagine
>>you can still do this, but I'm not sure what the effect of doing this on an
>>already cooked ham is.>>
>>

> Doesn't the curing process essentially "cook" the ham anyway?  I thought that
> roasting was merely "heating it up".

Actually, no. While there's probably some denaturing of proteins that
takes place, the main problem with expecting the cure to cook a ham is
that so much of it is connective tissue, which doesn't become tender
unless cooked slowly, and usually in the presence of some water. Hence,
boiled ham. Baked ham is often boiled before baking, and then you get
into compexities related to different cures and such. Some hams can be
soaked and then baked, but often that involves a covered container or a
crust to seal in moisture so the connective tissue can break down.

  Prosciutto is eaten "raw", though, as are various other cured cuts of
pork or beef (for example, bresaola) that have a lot less connective
tissue than a ham, and these can be eaten without further cooking.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com