[Sca-cooks] ham advice

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Dec 27 07:26:03 PST 2001

My family used to cure hams using salt.  What my mom did to render them edible
was to soak them overnight in a vinegar/water solution, then parboil them for a
couple of hours or so in water before actually baking them.  To bake the ham,
she'd trim most of the fat off, then score it into a diamond pattern.  She'd
then "schmear" the top of the ham with a mixture of mustard and brown sugar,
putting a whole clove in each of the diamonds.  She would then bake it until it
was brown and crunchy on top (the meat having already been cooked in the
parboiling step), and serve it...after letting it rest for 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps....

Kiri