[Sca-cooks] Foodie Movie Supreme: Vatel

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Dec 26 13:29:17 PST 2001

>kept imagining how much better a feast i could do with such a large
>and knowledgeable staff to prepare the food - and such a HUGE
>kitchen, ok, series of kitchens...

Haven't seen the movie yet, though I suspect now I'll have to :-)

I hate to disapoint you though, most staff in those huge kitchens were
mostly untrained, not-knowledgeable staff.  Or so it was not all that long
ago in largish kitchens, I doubt that there was skilled labour in medieval
kitchens, except for the fellow in charge, and perhaps a few aides.  The
rest would be told what to do and how to do it, with many kicks in the
butts, if not worse...

Actually, had a Chef treat us that way not 20 years ago, sending his clogs
flying in the direction of the poor sap who'd screw up.

Chef:  "The salmon in crust is BURNT, you idiot"
Apprentice: "But, Chef..."
Chef: "No buts!"
Apprentice: "I came to take it out ten minutes ago, and you told me to
leave it in"
Chef: "I did not"
Apprentice: "Chef, I really didn't mean to burn it, I just followed your
instructions"
Chef:  Throws clogs at apprentice.  Clog hits apprentice hard (left a
bruise on apprentice for a fortnight).
Apprentice, takes clog and sinks it in the cooking brown stock.  Deep.
Chef, completely flabbergasted...

Yes, I was the apprentice, and he was an idiot.  He *never* hit me again!
:-)  Actually, from the moment I stood up to him, he included me in all his
little petty secrets of finishing sauces etc...  <sigh>

Doesn't work that way in *my* kitchen!

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom