[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Pig Heads

Diana Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Dec 27 04:28:41 PST 2001

At 02:18 AM 12/27/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Yes, and the Spanish cat recipe does say something about removing the
>brains or it might make you crazy. So, I don't think they would have
>used cat heads for headcheese. :-)

Stefan,
Cat's heads wouldn't work because they don't have the amount of gristle
contained in a pig head.
I had my hand on the phone to call my ex's Mom. I'm sure she inherited
Grandma's headcheese recipe. But she wouldn't be appreciative of my ringing
her at 6:30 am.
So, later this morning, I'll call her and get the recipe. Just for your files.

>And yes, when I mentioned to Iago some of the awlful foods that had
>already been  discussed here on this list, I obviously forgot to mention
>the headcheese, souse and scrapple...

I realized a long time ago I could eat almost anything - "hunger makes the
best sauce." Since I'm not overly fond of headcheese, can't tolerate souse,
but love scrapple, AND I'll probably cook breakfast for SPCA at Pennsic, I
believe we'll have some scrapple this year. And, if I can stand making it,
I'll do Grandma's recipe of headcheese. It's not any different from some
pates I've tried.

Liadan
Plain scrapple - aka Polenta in upper crust circles