[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Pig Heads

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 07:27:12 PST 2001

--- Diana Skaggs <upsxdls_osu at ionet.net> wrote:
> At 02:18 AM 12/27/01 -0600, you wrote:
> >Yes, and the Spanish cat recipe does say something
> about removing the
> >brains or it might make you crazy. So, I don't
> think they would have
> >used cat heads for headcheese. :-)

Actually, I think most folks on this List are immune.
As Chief Cat Wrangler for SPCA, I can testify that all
in SPCA are immune.....

And Stefan skrev:

> >And yes, when I mentioned to Iago some of the
> awlful foods that had
> >already been  discussed here on this list, I
> obviously forgot to mention
> >the headcheese, souse and scrapple...

Awful foods? Ah, Stefan, and after all we've been
doing to educate you. Shall we bring up the subject of
carrots?

> AND I'll probably cook breakfast
> for SPCA at Pennsic, I
> believe we'll have some scrapple this year.

Sounds good...

 And, if
> I can stand making it,
> I'll do Grandma's recipe of headcheese. It's not any
> different from some
> pates I've tried.

Actually, when we did the sheep at Pennsic a couple of
years ago, both my brains in a period
hollandaise-style sauce, and Ras' testicles went over
very well, although they were rich enough that I was
very happy for the flat bread someone had made to
accompany them...

> Plain scrapple - aka Polenta in upper crust circles

Actually, scrapple, even "plain", is, I believe
supposed to include various meat bits in a corn meal
base, whereas polenta is simply a cornmeal mix, to be
flavored with other things, whether veggie or meat, to
the makers taste- a base rather than a dish on its
own. I believe the closest common (if rather
old-fashioned) American food to polenta would be "corn
meal mush" - as near as I can tell, they're one and
the same- polenta is simply the fancy Eye-talian name,
to make it palatable to upscale pseudo-psophisticated
diners.

Phlip,

who likes cappuchino, but prefers her coffee with
coffee in it.