[Sca-cooks] Hot Fig Newtons

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 27 06:06:10 PST 2001

Diana Skaggs wrote:

 > Do I understand you live near Chicago?  Have you ever eaten in an
Oklahoma
 > greasy spoon?  I've seen guys around hear empty a new bottle of hot sauce
 > on their entire meal - entree, vegetables, etc., didn't bother me until
 > they shook it all over apple pie. Somehow, hot sauce on apple pie didn't
 > seem quite "American" to me.

Gee, I don't know... you got your apple pie, which, if it is in the
expected spiced, sliced-apples-in-thickened-juice form, is pretty
quintessentially American, and then you have your hot sauce, also more
or less an American concept. By hot sauce, I assume you mean some
combination of chilies and vinegar, yes? Tobasco, Trappey's, etc.?
'Spretty American...

 > Liadan
 > Who dished up a pile of her favorite Broccoli-Rice Casserole at
 > Thanksgiving and found out too late someone had "enhanced" it with
hot sauce.

I have to go with you there. It's an outrage! Vinegar doesn't belong in
such a dish; broccoli is too delicate. I would have used chopped, fresh
Scotch Bonnets.

Adamantius (mmmm, hot sauce on scrambled eggs...)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com