[Sca-cooks] meat "substitutes"- Rant

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 13:34:38 PST 2001

Awright, folks, enlighten me. If you're going to be a
vegetabletarian, why can't you just eat vegetables
(and fruits, and grains)?

Why do so-called vegetarians "have" to have a meat
substitute type dish in their meal? And what is all
this ovo-lacto-piscene etc stuff?

I remember, a number of years ago, I visited friends
who had decided to become vegetabletarians, and for
three days, all we ate were bean-sprout type salads-
on the 4th day, I went into town and devoured an
entire greasy Yankee-style pseudo-fried chicken, with
a couple of bunless burgers on the side, and I HATE
greasy meats. OTOH, I'm not a vegetarian, merely an
omnivore who (normally) likes lots of fresh veggies
and such.

OK, so a strict diet of salad is not my personal
choice, and can become very old very quickly, but if
YOU choose not to eat meat, why not respect your own
choice, and NOT EAT MEAT?

And why must vegetabletarians try to "convert" the
rest of us, particularly by trying to tell us that "it
tastes just like (whatever)"?

Now, here in the US, it's unlawful to try to use the
laws to force a particular set of religious beliefs on
someone else- furthermore, it's "politically
incorrect" (Gadd, how I hate that phrase).

Why can't the vegetabletarians just eat what they want
to eat (or not eat) and leave the rest of us alone to
enjoy our own dinners, with or without red meat, white
meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, milk, cheese, hot
peppers, nuts, fungi, saffron, eggplant, or (shudder)
bell peppers?

Phlip,

Who only asks for good food well-prepared (minus bell peppers).....