[Sca-cooks] peanuts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 27 14:59:12 PST 2001

><snip>it is
>>possible peanuts arrived in Europe prior to Cortez.
>>
>>Bear
>
>Hello!  If this is so, are there any early references to peanuts being
>considered poisonous? Any mentions of sudden death due to eating them?
>
>Regards,
>
>Cindy (All I got for Christmas was the flu...)

I haven't come across any.  As part of an off list discussion, I got
interested in seeing if there was any evidence for a European introduction
to peanuts prior to the Conquest of Mexico.  The quote from Columbus'
Journal is what I found and it makes me want to check Peter Martyr and
Oviedo when I can find translations.

Bear