[Sca-cooks] Brussel sprouts

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Dec 28 06:23:29 PST 2001

> >>Greetings from Solveig! You can have my portions of Brussels
> >>sprouts and cauliflower.
>
> I found I like only fresh brussel sprouts. If they've been frozen, they
> take on a bitter flavor to me. Cauliflower, however, is great just about
> any way I've fixed it.  Especially when I was on a protein-restricted diet.
> One cookbook suggested cooking the cauliflower until tender, then mashing
> it with mayo and a hint of mustard. No one knew I wasn't eating egg salad
> sandwiches.

I'll eat steamed or microwaved broccoli and brussels sprouts, but frankly
the only way I can talk myself into eating cauliflower is either a) raw
with french onion dip [IF I'm out of every other crudite'], or b) steamed
and topped with Savory Toasted Cheese. Savory Toasted Cheese is a
wonderful (if fatty) way to reconcile oneself to cruciferous vegetables.
(BTW, we found that we could substitute PA 'farmer cheese' and a little
parmesan/romano grated cheese for the Brie in the Savory Toasted Cheese
recipe and it was still very yummy. Savory Toasted Cheese with ground
cardamom and long pepper is also very yummy.)

... But then, as a non-period-food-eater from our local group said,
"Unless we can rig up a propane-fired washtub, we're unlikely to EVER have
enough Savory Toasted Cheese."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa