[Sca-cooks] Olwen's Arms

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 13:03:44 PST 2001

> > Ahem. What EK standards would those be? Apart from the occasional peach
> > pit, I haven't been seeing a lot of marzipan anything for the last
> > couple of years, at the Eastern events I've been to...
>
>Hm......
>Olwen, could you post the directions for making marzipan from boughten
>almond paste again?
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Sure.  It's easy.  For each pound (or ounce) of almond paste use equal
measure of powdered sugar.  Add rosewater as needed.

Since I make up a 7 to 7 pound ratio at a time I do not add the rosewater at
the paste/sugar mixing.  I prefer to add it as I go along.  That way I have
two advantages.  The rosewater does not get the mix funky if it sits in the
veggie bin too long and I have complete control over the stiffness or
softness of my marzipan at time of use/construction/molding.  Also you can
use the rosewater to stick pieces together.  You can add bits of the
marzipan to a little of the rosewater and mix it up.  This is something
potters do, can't recall what they call it just now, but anyway..this will
give you a creamy/lumpy solution you can use to texturize areas of your
work.  This can be done in the same colour or another colour for depth and
contrast.  Ah, but I am rambling.
Olwen