[Sca-cooks] The History and Culture of Japanese Food

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Fri Dec 28 15:15:05 PST 2001

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig! My copy of "The History and Culture of Japanese
Food" by Ishige Namomichi just arrived today from Poison Pen Press.
I now know a bit more about why this has been such a hard book to buy.
For quite some time this book was supposed to be distributed by Columbia
University Press, but it is in fact being distributed by John Wiley and
Sons. Both are actually noted on the copyright page. Regardless, having
two distributors located in the United States must confuse things more
than a bit. The book is hardbound and appears to be xerographically
printed which suggests that they are engaged in demand printing the
things which is another possible source of shipping delay.

The author is a well known and respected author of books on food culture
in Japanese. The focus of the book is the cultural framework of food
in Japan especially since 1600 CE. The book does not provide recipes
nor does reproduce much of the emake (picture scrolls) dealing with
food which date from the late medieval or early modern periods. While
this book is well worth its price, it is not a cookbook. However, it
is an excellent history and reference for those interested in pursuing
culinary research. For me, the bibliography and footnotes alone are
probably worth what it cost to acquire a copy.

On an entirely personal level, obtaining this book evokes dejavue. About
ten years ago, I was terrified that a forthcoming work by Herbert Plutschow
would make my own humble writings about Japanese names irrelevant. When his
book was finally published, I rushed to read it only to discover that while
his book was a handsome addition to the literature, it would not displace
my book. History has repeated itself. I will redouble my efforts on
Samurai Chef in the knowledge that it will have a niche of its own.

The History and Culture of japanese Food
Naomich Ishige
London, Kegan Paul 2001
ISBN 0-71030657-1
hb x 273 incl bib 27 fig no index.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir
					Amateur Scholar
| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |