[Sca-cooks] eating from couches or lounges

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 28 17:26:21 PST 2001

Olwen answered me with:
> >I have wondered about some of this. Specifically, eating from those
> >comfy couches or chase lounge things like the Romans were supposed
> >to have done.
> >
> >Seems like it would be messy to me, with a good part of the food
> >ending up on your chest rather than down your throat. Especially
> >when eating things like pears in wine sauce. And especially without
> >forks. I don't remember seeing any pictures of the Romans wearing
> >bibs.
> >
> >Perhaps this was like Chinese footbinding or those long sleeved,
> >dagged medieval gowns. To flaunt the fact that you had servents to do
> >those things for you.

I noticed this is unclear. What I meant was that perhaps eating on
the reclining sofas was intentionally difficult. That you had your
servents feed you and that the sofas were used because they highlighted
that you had these servents to use for this.

> >THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>
> Well, you have a point, kinda, there Stefan.  But really now, don't you eat
> on your sofa?  Yeah, you get some on your shirt but that's half the fun.

No, I don't eat on the sofa. Rather unconfortable I'd think. Also, to
eat on the sofa I'd have to first remove the books and boxes of
things, the mail, the coats and various other items that now reside
there. :-)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net