[Sca-cooks] Wings! was meat substitute

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Dec 28 19:09:51 PST 2001

Ooops...I just found the bottle in the trash.  In English, this bottle
is labeled "Sweet Chili Sauce."  Just above that is a phrase, "Mae
Ploy," but I don't know if that's the brand or what.  In the upperleft
corner of the label is another name?: "Nuoe cham ga." Does that make any
sense? I'll ask the counter person at the deli next time I go (which'll
be real soon if I keep talking about this stuff....I'm giving myself a
major jones for some Thai food....or maybe curry [we have a great
vegan/vegetarian East Indian restaurant in town]).
The ingredients include: sugar, water, pickled red chilli [sic],
vinegar, garlic, and salt.
It has a translucent appearance, almost like a sweet/sour sauce, rather
than some of the other chili/garlic sauces I've seen that are closer in
appearance to catsup.  I enjoy it on eggs for breakfast, mixed with
peanut butter (and a few other things like soy sauce) for a really nummy
sauce for broccoli and tofu stirfry, on plain rice when I'm feeling lazy
and don't want to cook dinner.....It'd also be good as a dipping sauce.
I've noticed I go through an awful lot of it, especially in the winter,
and especially when I've got a cold or the flu....
--Maire