[Sca-cooks] Propane-fired washtub

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 29 05:39:09 PST 2001

>I ask because various metalworkers have told me that you have to remove
>the zinc plating with something like muriotic acid to prevent oxidation
>of the zinc in high heat. Apparently it produces dangerously toxic fumes?

Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, perchance.

>Does anybody have any more info on this? Maybe it's okay if done
>outdoors; I have no direct experience with this.
>
>Phil & Susan Troy

I've heated water beside the fire in a galvanized pail to wash with, but
I've never done any cooking in galvanized pans.  Zinc is fairly reactive
chamically and I dislike reactive metals in cooking.

Some friends who worked at a wire plant and the galvanizing pit say to avoid
the fumes and don't fall in.  The melting point of zinc is 419.4 degrees F.

Bear