[Sca-cooks] Swallowing up (Was: eating from couches or lounges)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Dec 29 10:33:12 PST 2001

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/28/2001 11:02:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:
>
> > But, Phlip, if you're eating while hanging from a trapeze (I assume you're
> >  hanging by your knees, in order for your hands to be free to feed your
> >  face) wouldn't you be defying gravity by swallowing up?
>
> Anyone can swallow up, and by that I mean actually swallow while inverted.
> Seen it done and even demonstrated it. Apparently the mechanics of swallowing
> have little or nothing to do with gravity. Can't tell you why though.

Swallowing is a muscle action, and can be done right-side up, up-side
down, sideways, or whatever. I once saw a film that had footage of
someone swallowing on an X-ray- put me off of my feed for a couple of
days. It's sort of like peristalic action but not quite, because it's
voluntary instead of involuntary. But it is a wave of muscle contraction
that pushes the food down. And a ring of muscles (called a sphincter)
keeps the food in your stomach. Unless you have another problem, and the
whole thing works in reverse...

'Lainie
rather be back in bed