[Sca-cooks] Procrastinating while the caffeine kicks in...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 29 13:15:14 PST 2001

Steve wrote:

> My guess would be something that was portable, easy to serve and resistant
> to spoiling.  Breads, hard cheeses, dried sausages, fruits in season.  Of
> course it's all a guess on my part on what would seem logical.  They may
> have had chefs serving roast heron.

>>Sooo... for our Obligatory Food Content, what do we know about
>>travelling foods in period? They didn't nosh while doing 65+ on the
>>interstate, but what might one eat while on the road to Canterbury,
>>perhaps? Inbetween inns?

Isn't there a brief description of camping foods in The Canterbury
Tales? (Obviously, if I knew, I would know, if you follow me.) I imagine
anything portable and not too sloshy, ranging from the aformentioned dry
cheeses, cured meats and sausages, stalish bread or flatbreads, on
through anything that could be prepared at an inn en route, would apply.
In addition we have Froissart's descrition of oatcakes being made by
Scottish soldiers while on campaign. There are also descriptions of
Vikings eating dried cod shaved into chips, but otherwise not further
cooked or processed. And thewn, of course, we could segue into things
provisioned onboard ship, foods pickled in whey, etc.

Interestingly enough, what we think of in terms of the salt herring
appears, from some accounts, to have been invented in the thirteenth
century or so...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy