[Sca-cooks] Queston on Dates for Recipes

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Dec 29 19:13:37 PST 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings:
ok--- here's the stuff you need...
the spice mixes, pages 221-222 are from:
a manuscript that was published by
Frati, Ludovico, ed. Libro di cucina del secolo
xiv. published in 1899, reprinted 1970.
That's what the FR 40 means; see pages
262-263 and then the bibliography. This
manuscript is dated 14th century. I can tell
this because I have a copy of Du Manuscrit
a la Table and by cross-referencing I can
tell what the date of the manuscript from the
manuscripts listing in that book.
The Scully recipe for Fine Spice Powder is
given as from Le Menagier on page 54 which
is discussed on pages 11-14 in the introduction.
They say "end of the 1300's" for a date.
The almond milk on page 62 comes from Le Menagier too.
Hope this helps--- Johnna Holloway