[Sca-cooks] rose hips in food

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 29 21:01:58 PST 2001

From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
>Anahita commented:
>  > (1) perhaps rose buds rather than rose hips? I have seen rose flowers
>  > in a number of recipes, but not rose hips.
>
>It could be rose buds, however there are plenty of recipes that include
>rosehips, some of which are period or near-period. SNIP

I do not dispute the use of rose hips in food *somewhere* in the
world before 1601. What i wonder about is rose hips in Near Eastern
food. This is one of the few references, if not the only reference
i've seen to it.

I have read no end of recipes that call for "rose leaves" when
clearly "rose petals" are meant. I'm not sure if i can find one right
now, but i know i've seen them.

So i just wonder if "rose buds" rather than "rose hips" were meant in
the atraf al-tib blend, since rose flowers flavor so many dishes,
sweet and savory, in the Medieval Near Eastern corpus (not to mention
the modern corpus) of recipes.

Anahita