[Sca-cooks] Procrastinating while the caffeine kicks in...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Dec 30 17:56:25 PST 2001

Bear commented:
> There is a little more behind it than that.  Coca Cola was losing market
> share to Pepsi, so they changed the Coke formula to make it closer to Pepsi
> in taste, then they lost more market share when their customers decided thet
> the New Coke was swill.  Coca Cola brought out Coke Classic, which was
> closer to the original formula, but they cut costs by changing the sugar to
> corn syrup.  This left a niche that Jolt tried to fill.  Jolt (and RC Cola)
> actually taste more like the original Coke that Coke Classic, but neither of
> them had the capitalization to out market the two majors.  Jolt also had
> some quality control problems with consistency of flavor between batches.

I'm not sure the comment about when they changed from sugar to corn
syrup is correct. I believe the choice of what sweetener is used in
making of Coca-Cola is left up to the bottler. I remember talk about
folks liking the Coke from one particular bottler or region because
they still used cane sugar to sweeten their coke. And I believe at
least some bottlers had switched to corn syrup long before the Jolt
Cola or the New Coke came out. The economic justification for using corn
syrup instead of cane sugar is certainly there though.

> Jolt is some real programming fluid and it became the standard of
> non-coffee-drinking code cutters (a touch of reality in Jurassic Park).
> Because their marketing is tied up in the "all the sugar and twice the
> caffeine" bit, I don't see them adding sugar-free to the line up, but they
> could do that easier the caffeine free.

Okay. Then how about "thrice the caffeine and none of the sugar". That's
just too much quickly absorbed sugar for me, and other diabetics. :-(

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net