[Sca-cooks] Procrastinating while the caffeine kicks in...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 30 18:55:20 PST 2001

>I'm not sure the comment about when they changed from sugar to corn
>syrup is correct. I believe the choice of what sweetener is used in
>making of Coca-Cola is left up to the bottler. I remember talk about
>folks liking the Coke from one particular bottler or region because
>they still used cane sugar to sweeten their coke. And I believe at
>least some bottlers had switched to corn syrup long before the Jolt
>Cola or the New Coke came out. The economic justification for using corn
>syrup instead of cane sugar is certainly there though.
>
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

As I understand it, the bottlers are indepedant, partial-owned, or
wholly-owned distributors and receive the prepared syrups from the parent
company.  The syrups are then diluted and packaged for the retail market.
If this is the case, then the sweetners should already be in the syrup.

The syrups are modified for the tastes of some countries (Coke in Arabic
countries is supposed to be sweeter and thicker, but I've never had a chance
to try it.) and they could be modified for various regions, but, having
drunk Coke from Alaska to Germany before the creation of Coke Classic, I can
say I never noticed much difference.  Original Coke had more bite and a
cleaner taste than Coke Classic.

Bear