[Sca-cooks] Shipping wine

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:23:06 PST 2001

>I belong to a wine tasting group at a winery in California, and we've run
>into a similar problem.  Wineries appear to be the only folks who can
>legally ship the stuff, but there are a number of states, etc., where they
>cannot ship...Maryland, DC and Virginia being among them.  >However, I
>suspect that, if the box didn't say "such and such a >winery", UPS or
>whatever would probably handle small shipments.  Our >problem was that when
>Phillip tried to ship a case and a half back (my >collection of purchases
>that hadn't been shipped for about 8 months), >UPS wouldn't handle
>it...because the boxes both said "Mirassou Winery" >on them.  So that's
>what we've run into....
>
>Kiri

That sounds crazy.  I have shipped stuff all over the place in beer and
whiskey boxes and the post office has never had a twitch.  And the UPS folks
didn't go nuts when a friend sent me two glass bottles and one broke in
transit.  They stuck the package in a plastic bag and labeled it damaged in
transit and that was it.
Olwen