[Sca-cooks] Redaction challenge; my testing

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Dec 31 17:56:38 PST 2001

<sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>;
 Sat, 22 Dec 2001
Anyway, here's the recipe, per Constance Hieatt and Robin Jones' Two
Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited from British Library Manuscripts
Additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii", Speculum, v.61 October 1986, pp
859-882 :

"11. TARDPOLENE [custard tarts with fruit]. Here is another dish, which is
called tardpolene. Take and combine flour and sugar, and mix into pastry
with almond milk; make cases of this pastry two fingers in height; then take
pears, dates, almonds, figs, and raisins, and put in liquid and spices and
grind together; add egg yolk and a piece of good, soft cheese, not too old,
and plenty of whole eggs; then put them [the pastry cases filled with the
above mixture] to cook; brush the tops with egg yolk, then serve."

Hieatt and Jones seem to have decided that the name should be spelled
tardpolene, even though the original manuscript (late thirteenth-century
Anglo-Norman) seems to spell it tardpolane. I'm not sure why, unless
versions of the recipe appear elsewhere under that name, and there's not
aware of it.

Adamantius

Having the time this long weekend, I started working on the Redaction
Challenge.  I'm still pondering whether this should be a PEAR tart with the
other fruits & almonds as enhancements, and enough cheese & eggs to bind.
Or is it a fruit mixture  {equal ratios} with cheese & eggs to bind? Or  A
CHEESE tart with the fruits to sweeten, and egg to bind.

  I worked on the filling today  -- will try out the crust another time.  I
made 9 different mixtures, and the Resident Mistress & myself are the
judges.

"take pears, dates, almonds, figs, and raisins, and put in liquid and spices
and grind together; add egg yolk and a piece of good, soft cheese, not too
old, and plenty of whole eggs;"

I worked backwards a bit, wanting to try different combinations of fruit
ratios & cheese/egg ratios. So I first mixed up the cheese portion. Good
soft cheese, not too old.  Not being a "cheese whiz" ? I figured something
beyond cottage/ curd cheese something fairly bland; such as cream cheese.  I
figured 4 eggs per pound of cheese, because for "cheesecake," the ratio is
3 - 4 eggs per pound of cream cheese, and the recipe definitely instructs to
use "plenty of whole eggs."   So, I creamed 1 lb of cream cheese with 4
eggs.  For most of the testing I used about 2 oz of the cheese & egg
mixture, with equal amounts of the fruit mixture per  dish.

For the fruit mixtures,  I used basically ½ fresh pear, peeled & cored, 2
dates, 1 Tablespoon of  almond pieces,  1 tsp raisins (currants) and 2 -3
figs.  All the spices are ground.  Variations will be noted in the notes
below.

1) Basic fruit mixture with pear juice, ½ tsp cinnamon and ¼  tsp gynger
2) Basic fruit mixture, additional tsp almonds,  1 oz Pear Liquor, 1 tsp
cinnamon, ½ tsp cloves
3) Basic fruit mixture,  ½ tsp cardamom, ½ tsp ginger, 1 Tab sugar 1 egg
yolk, only 1 oz cheese mixture
4) Basic fruit mixture, additional tsp almonds, 1 oz Pear Liquor, 1 tsp
cinnamon, ½ tsp cloves, and 1 tsp sugar.
5) Basic fruit mixture, but the pear is 1/3 fresh pear, and 3 halves dried
pear.   ½ tsp Cardamom, and 1 oz Mead
6) Fruit mixture same as #5,  ½ tsp each cardamom & ginger, 1 tsp sugar,
pear juice,  only 1 oz of the cheese mixture
7) Basic Fruit mixture,  1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp cardamom, ½ tsp ginger, 1 tsp
sugar,  1 oz mead and 4 oz cheese mixture
8) ½ pear, 2 Tabs almonds,   ½ tsp ginger, 1 tsp sugar, 1 oz mead {no dates
or figs} equal amounts fruit to cheese mixtures
9) same fruit /spice mix as #8, ½ oz almond liquor, and 4 oz cheese mixture

They baked for 40 minutes in a 325F oven.  Those with ½ cheese mixture are
browner than the rest.

Taste results tomorrow.

Caointiarn