[Sca-cooks] Happy New Year

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Mon Dec 31 21:32:09 PST 2001

A Happy New Year from Sindara Lind Rachael Fessel of the Falconshield

And here is an appropriate article that I wrote for this season.  Enjoy!

The Four New Years

         Happy New Year. As we enter the New Year on the secular calendar,
I thought it appropriate that I talk about the Jewish New Year. "But," some
of you may say, "The Jewish New Year was in September." Yes it is true that
the Jewish New Year was in September. However, that is not the only "New
Year" on the Jewish calendar. In fact, there are actually four "New Year"
days celebrated during one year on our calendar. They are Rosh Hashana, Tu
B'Shevat, Echad B'Nisan, and Echad B'Elul.
         When we think of the New Year, we think of the first day of the
first month. On the Jewish calendar that would be Echad B'Nisan. In the
book of Shemoth (Exodus), The Almighty called the month of Nisan "The first
of months". Nisan is the first month on the Jewish calendar, because during
this month we were freed from our bondage in Mizraim (Egypt).
         According to our sages, many important things occurred on Echad
B'Nisan. It was on this day that the Almighty dedicated the Tabernacle
(Called the "Tent of Meeting" where the sacrifices were presented.). It is
also the first day that His presence began to rest on the newly freed
Hebrews as they made their journey towards Mt. Sinai.
It is said that this day has 10 crowns or honors. For instance Echad
B'Nisan marked the first time the Priestly Blessing was recited by the
Cohen Gadol (High Priest). It is also marked by the first sacrifice offered
by the princes of each tribe when the Tabernacle was dedicated. The Torah
proclaims Echad B'Nisan to be the first day of Spring, the season of
renewal. This perhaps is another reason why Nisan is the first month on our
calendar.
During the morning prayers service it is customary to read the Torah
passage that talks about the princes' offerings. After services, the
congregants are requested to donate a Shekel (money) to make sure that the
poor of the community have Matzah on Pesach (Passover). Kimcha d'Pesach
(flour for Passover) is also solicited at this time. Pesach, the first of
the Shelosh Regalim (Pilgrimage holidays-There are 3 times during the year
that the Almighty requested our presence in the city of Jerusalem. These
were called the Shelosh Regalim. Shelosh means 3 and Regalim means journeys
by foot.) falls during the month of Nisan. On Echad B'Nisan we begin the
preparation for Pesach by pickling various vegetables.
When kings ruled in the ancient lands of Judea and Israel, they were
crowned on Echad B'Nisan. Every 28 years, at the beginning of the solar
cycle, Birkat Ha Chamah (Blessing on the Sun) was recited on this day. The
Rambam (Moses Maimonides) says that one should say the following 2
blessings during the month of Nisan: "In whose world nothing is lacking,"
and "Who has created in it good creations and good and beautiful trees for
man to benefit from." These 2 blessings were of course recited upon seeing
a blossoming fruit tree.
The next new year on the Jewish calendar is Echad B' Ellul. Ellul is the
sixth month on the calendar and the month before the Yomim Nera'im (high
holidays) of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. On Echad B'Ellul we begin to blow
the Shofar (ram's horn) during the morning prayer service. The Shofar is
sounded to call all Jews to do Teshuvah (repentance) and return to God's ways.
The Torah requires we pay a tithe on all animals, produce, and money earned
each year. The tithe for animals is calculated from the amount born during
a particular year. The tithe for animals is calculated from and paid on
Echad B' Ellul.
Our Torah, the book of our laws was first presented in the form of the
Aseret Ha'Dibrot (Ten commandments). Moshe broke the first tablets upon
seeing the Hebrews worshipping the golden calf. God requested him to
fashion a second set of tablets and to again ascend Mt. Sinai. It is said
that he did so on Echad B'Ellul.
The third New Year on the Jewish calendar is of course Rosh Hashana, which
begins on Echad B'Tishre. Rosh Hashana translates as "The head of the
year". It is the birthday of creation and the day that God opens the book
of life to inscribe the fate of all for the coming year. A great
celebration is held for 2 days. No work is performed. Special prayers are
recited in addition to the morning prayer service. Many special foods are
eaten to symbolize our desires for the coming year. Rosh Hashana is a time
of reflection, when we look back at what we did in the year that past and
think of how we can improve in the coming year.
The last new year is Tu-B'Shevat. This day is also referred to as the New
Year of the Trees. On this day we hold a special seder during which we eat
different types of fruits and nuts.
 From the house of Falconshield, Sfi, Natalie, Charles and I would like to
wish all of you a Shana Tova V'Tikatevu (A sweet and good year).