SC - Sawgeat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 1 03:54:37 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Margali said:
> > A simmer is not bubbling, it is a slight shimmering of the surface of
> > the liquid, at about 180 degrees fahrenheit. Things will cook a lot
> > differently at a simmer than at a breaking boil [or even a rolling boil]
>
> Uh-oh. Then I've been cooking things at a little too high temperature.
> I thought simmer meant gently bubbling.

I'd say that as long as it's a gentle bubble, it is a simmer. Poaching
heat is about 160 degrees F, wherein bubbles form but don't rise to the
surface. Simmering is at around 180, but can have bubbles rising,
usually in the center. I'd say a boil is characterized by bubbles
blooping up from the entire surface. Of course, things like liquid
viscosity, air pressure and altitude all affect boiling.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com