SC - Sawgeat

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 1 03:54:37 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Could you please post the sawgeat recipe? This sounds good. I already
> know I like migas, which are similar but include some other stuff.

>From The Forme of Cury...

169. SAWGEAT. Take sawge; grynde it and temper it vp with ayren. Take a
sausege & kerf hym to gobetes, and cast it in a possynet, and do
(th)erwi(th) grece and frye it. Whan it is fryed ynow(gh), cast (th)erto
sawge with ayren; make it not to harde. Cast (th)erto powdour douce &
messe it forth. If it be in ymbre day, take sauge, buttur, & ayren, and
lat it stonde wel by (th)e sauge, & serue it forth.

The basic sausage recipe in the contemporary Le Menagier suggests a
smoked sausage, something like a bratwurst or smoked breakfast links, is
what this recipe may be referring to.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy