SC - LONG! - coronation feasts and purchases

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Feb 6 10:43:29 PST 2001

>Yeah, except that English takes into itself quite a few
>foreign words and adopts them for its own nefarious purposes.
>At what point does a borrowed foreign word acquire native
>rights?
>

>Alban, who'll shut up now on this subject

A good quotation:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --
James D. Nicoll

- -Gytha, who will also shut up on this subject now.