SC - Iceland-houses

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Wed Feb 7 08:28:42 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Tomato slugs.  I recall my daughter put one in a jar and took it to
> kindegarten class.  The thing made a cocoon and at the end of the year
> turned into a butterfly.  It was beautiful!  A far cry from that ghastly
> looking green thing.
> Olwen

Known around here [and I don't want to hear a _word_ about there being
no reason for New York City to have regional names for various flora and
fauna -- for once I'm glad Phlip is offline ;  ) ] as tomato hornworms,
or even sometimes as big tomato hornworms.

This creature featured heavily in one of my more memorable childhood
traumas, in which my father, wearing gardening gloves, pulled a hornworm
off a tomato plant and gished it by simply skimming it, like a flat
stone onto the surface of a pond, onto the concrete sidewalk a short
distance away, where it splashed like a water balloon.

I'm considerably less squeamish now than I was then.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com