SC -veal longings

Barbara Sall socha at epix.net
Thu Feb 8 05:41:52 PST 2001

In a message dated 2/7/2001 4:50:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

> Is this those brown spiny round things that litter the ground every fall
and
>  many folks use in crafts??  You can eat the insides?  And to think, I just
>  make snowmen out of them...
>  Olwen

Not knowing where you are I can't say, but it sounds like you're describing
sweet gum balls, which, last time I checked didn't have anything remotely
edible in them.

Beech nuts OTOH, are quite edible if you can pry them out of the burr and
shell them, which sounds a lot like the chinquapin description. Awful lot of
work for a small reward though.

Corwyn