teens was Re: SC - alcohol revisited

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Thu Feb 8 20:23:54 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 8 Feb 01, , that Dana Huffman wrote:

> "Revanadas", by the way, was a trick question.  I finally
> tracked it down as "rebanadas", after trying "revanar" and
> "vanar".  "Slices" is exactly right, though.

What I do sometimes, when I think I know the meaning of the word,
but can't find it in my dictionary, is to look up the possible meaning
in the English-Spanish dictionary.  If I look up "slice", I find
rebanada, tajada, lonja.

> A couple of hints for those who are playing:  a "z" may
> modernly be a "c", and "v" and "b" may be exchanged (they
> have nearly the same sound in Spanish).  And, of course,
> many double letters have become singles in modern Spanish.

Also, most of what I transcribed as "z" was actually written as a
"c" with a cedilla (the little hook that dangles from the "c" in
"garcon").  And sometimes "u" and "v" are exchanged ("vna"
instead of "una"; "inuierno" instead of "invierno").  And "x" often
appears where the modern spelling would use a "j" ("dexar" instead
of "dejar").

Just like medieval English recipes, where the spelling often gets
creative, your best bet is to sound out the word.

> Dana/Ximena
> Who has an awful time with anything written in English
> before they invented spelling...

See above.  :-)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)