SC - Asparagus smell

Claire Galibois galibois at lycos.com
Fri Feb 9 16:59:02 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bonne

> "Spice Road' themed feasts have been held.  Hard to do properly as we
don't
> know so much about the eastern end of all that, so modern food is used to
> fill in.

On what do you base that assertion?  And are you talking about Middle
Eastern food generally, or just from this time frame (spice trade
expansion)?  I ask, because our Founding Baron (now Landless White Trash
*grin*) is Byzantine (not sure of his dates) and his one feast a year is the
Camel Feast which is our big entertainment feast and is always Middle
Eastern themed.  He assured me, when I spoke to him following this year,
that the recipes (with, I think, one exception other than my Turkish
Delight) was documentable and entirely period.  Now, I grant that this does
not mean that all the food came from the same time, place, or source (need
to check with him on this point).

He actually has loads of recipes which he would like to try for this feast,
but he has found himself locked into the dishes which everyone loves.  He
did offer me a copy of the menu (although without documentation) to post
here to make your mouths water (*grin* I had mentioned the "period food is
inedible" feeling that so many on here have said exists in their areas, and
also told him about feasts with turkey legs and potato feasts about which so
many have complained.).  Unfortunately, I managed to leave the menu behind -
however, if there is interest, I am sure he would be happy to email it and
some recipes to me.

Gwynydd