SC - Asparagus smell

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Fri Feb 9 17:20:31 PST 2001

- --- Susan Laing <gleep001 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> Just taken possession of the latest edition to my
> Cook Book collection
> (Yay!) and have a question for the list!
>
> For those that haven't seen it - "Good Huswifes'
> Handmaide for the kitchen"
> is printed in a style akin to the CA's (A5 format;
> basic typeset).  Edited
> by Stuart Peachey ; Copyright - Historial Management
> Associates Ltd 1992 ;
> Published by Stuart Press 1992
>
> I was wondering if anyone has either a contact email
> or current address
> (book lists Stuart Press @ 24 Sandford Road
> Bristol) for the author OR
> Copyright group?
>
> - I'd like to enquire from them where the original
> manuscript is from
> (Editor mentions that the original is in Gothic
> script and that it was
> imprinted at London for Richard Fish) and I can find
> no other date or
> bibliographic details for original
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> Mari

If this is the book that you just purchased:

The good huswifes handmaide for the kitchin : [a
period   recipe book] / edited by Stuart Peachey.  1st
ed.      Bristol : Stuart Press, c1992.
         72 p. ; c21 cm.  (Historical cookery book
series)

Harvard has a copy of the original, and here is a copy
of the catalog entry:

The good huswifes handmaide for the kitchin ...
hereunto are annexed, sundrie necessarie conceits for
 the preseruation of health ... Newe booke of
cookerie.  Imprinted at London by Richard Iones.
c1594.

Running title: A newe booke of cookerie.

But if you still wish to contact the publisher, here
is their address:

Stuart Press
24 Sanford Rd
Bristol BS8 4QG England