SC - FW: Leaves of Gold: Medieval Mss Exhibitions in Philadelphia

Sun Feb 11 03:56:10 PST 2001

At 12:14 AM +0100 2/11/01, TG wrote:
><< But in each of these cases, you know that all the dishes were being
>done in a single time and place, even if some of them originated
>somewhere else. >>
>
>Strictly speaking: all you know without further evidence is that the
>_recipes were copied_ for some reason, not that the _dishes were done_.
>Writing down recipes is one activity, cooking dishes another.

Fair enough. I would be inclined to think, however, that if a recipe
is in a cookbook with lots of other recipes that you have reason to
believe are local, it is probably being used. That wouldn't apply
where a manuscript--say apicius--from a different time and place was
copies, perhaps as a curiousiy.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law