SC - Theme Menus What would you like your hall to look like?

Ratboy kattratt at home.com
Sun Feb 11 18:23:12 PST 2001

I think hearing the sounds is more of a function of exposure than biology. I
have read linguists that state any sounds we have not heard and imitated by 2
years old will be impossible to duplicate accurately as an adult no matter how
many language classes we take. I don't know how true that is though because I
certainly never heard anyone roll an r as a baby and my Spanish pronunciation is
pretty good now.

However, when I was teaching English as a Second language, I read that we have
to hear a sound 1,000 times to recognize it. I found this to be true with my
Latino students. It took a long, long time for them to be able to even hear the
difference between 'ch' and 'sh.'

Beatrice