SC - German translation

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Thu Feb 15 06:52:11 PST 2001

Haversack is derived from the German Habersack, which literally means oat
bag.  Linguistic derivation is from Middle High German, habere, Old High
German, habaro for oats and sac, bag in both Middle and Old High German from
the Latin saccus.

I suspect OED is looking at the entry of the term into English from the
Austrian and German troops serving with the British Army during the
Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

Bear