SC - Haversacks and nefts (??)

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Fri Feb 16 01:00:10 PST 2001

At 23:59 -0600 2001-02-15, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > A friend of mine did a research paper on this.  From memory,
> > since I can't lay my hands on my copy:
>
> If you can get a hold of this friend, would you ask them if they'd
> be interested in letting me take a look at their article for possible
> inclusion in the Florilegium? I have some information on nefs, but it
> is almost entirely from what was discussed on this maillist. I have
> seen them mentioned in a few books but only as ornate salt containers.

I've just sent off an email to ask him.

The nefs were also real honest-to-goodness ocean-going ships.  I
have a reference for that if you need it (since it isn't in the
OED afaik).

> As far as SCA usage, I've seldom heard the term outside of this list.

It's common among the populace in this part of An Tir.  I do not
know how far the usage spreads, though it obviously seems to have
reached South Africa.  If memory serves (it's been a while since
I read it) I think he said he suspected the usage was imported into
this region from northern Midrealm.

Thorvald